Potential Navigation Features - 1

 Author: Shemaiah Nelson

Posted on: 1/22/24


Y level display

To tackle the navigational challenge in cave environments, I devised a solution that introduces a Y Level Indicator. This new feature dynamically displays the player's depth, providing a real-time reference for their position within the cave. The Y Level Indicator operates on a straightforward principle: as long as the player is above Y level 0, it will display "Ground Level," signifying that they are close to the surface.

Implementing this Y Level Indicator not only addresses the deficiency in cave navigation but also significantly enhances the player's spatial awareness. Now, players can easily ascertain their depth, making it simpler to explore and navigate the intricate cave systems in the game. This solution not only improves the overall navigational experience but also adds an element of realism, enriching the immersive quality of the gameplay. Players are empowered with a clearer understanding of their position, reducing frustration and enhancing their enjoyment of cave exploration.

Y level test

The issue I encountered while implementing the Y Level Indicator for cave navigation was rooted in the complexity of determining the player's Y position accurately within Unity's 3D space. Initially, I overthought the process, contemplating the use of a barrier to detect whether the player was above Y level -1. However, this approach proved to be cumbersome and prone to potential complications.

In the debugging process, I realized that I could simplify the solution by directly utilizing the player's Y position. I adjusted the script to display "Ground level" if the Y level was within a small tolerance range around 0. This subtle modification eliminated the need for an additional barrier and allowed for a more straightforward and reliable implementation.


I simplified the code to this
public class DepthIndicator : MonoBehaviour
{
    [SerializeField]
    private Transform playerTransform;

    public Text yLevelText;

    private void Update()
    {
        if (playerTransform != null)
        {
            float yLevel = playerTransform.position.y;

            yLevelText.text = (yLevel <= 0.1f) ? "Ground level" : $"Y Level: {yLevel.ToString("F2")}";
        }
        else
        {
            Debug.LogError("Player Transform not assigned!");
        }
    }
}


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Troglodyte In Underbelly: Git Issues