Troglodyte in Underbelly: New Tools

 Troglodyte in Underbelly: New Tools 

Jose Davila 

Feb 2, 2024

I was introduced to a simple but powerful day by one of my teammates during one of our meetings. When creating the map for my biome, I had to do it piece by piece, making sure to fit the pieces and not leave any spaces the player would exploit. For this level I used Digger. This tool lets us use a Terrain like a canvas to create mountains and caves. Some issues surfaced when I realized that I never used terrains before. I never realized that terrains are the go-to 3D object when designing the floor for a level. I usually started with a plane or base objects like my last level. When I tried using the tool, I got confused about how to start setting it up. I thought Terrains were exclusive to the tool and that I needed to create a terrain using the tool and introduce Digger to this terrain. I spent some time checking the documentation and looking for tutorials, but all of it went straight to modeling the map, so I couldn't understand why it wasn't working. Finally, I headed back to my teammates' scene to figure out what I was doing wrong. After that, it was pretty simple learning how to flow with the tool. Making sure to cover any possible glitchy areas was easy, giving a more natural look to the environment was even easier and just a 90 x 90 map was faster than I would've anticipated. Now the level is complete and I have this tool to create future levels. This level was the starting place for our game, and there are still some things I need to add to the level to get it complete, but the layout and feel of this level were complete thanks to this tool and terrain.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Troglodyte In Underbelly: Git Issues