Troglodyte in Underbelly: Conflicting inputs

Author : Daniel Reder

 In terms of gaming, inputs are used to link actions in real life to actions in game. For example, if the player wanted to walk forward, most games would involve pressing the w key to have the in game character walk forward. In Unity, this cannot be performed alone, as the character must have physics attached in order to walk. This is done through the object known as a character controller. However, the character controller has exclusive control over the physics surrounding the in game character.

This week I added sections to the underbelly where if the player jumps in to the hole, they will teleport into another section that looks identical, but is not actually the same area. To do this, I teleported the player to a specified location when the player hits a trigger after jumping. However, initially code would not perform what was intended to happen. This was due the the character controller, as relocating the player was a physics related problem and the the physics could not be externally modified. To achieve what the results I wanted, I had to disable the players control, teleport them, and then re-enable their control. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Troglodyte In Underbelly: Git Issues