Troglodyte in Underbelly: Files Too Large
Author : Daniel Reder
Source control has allowed programming as a whole to grow. However even with it being as powerful as it is, source control does have its limits. Recently, the main section of the underbelly map has reached a point where source control cannot auto merge, and will require a manual merge every time. This can be very problematic, as diffing a file as large as the main scene would take too much time. The other solution is to never have two people working on the same file. In the end, that was the solution I chose.
The solution to this problem was to work on a clone of the main map scene while anyone else was working in the map. This meant that I could have source control managing my work while not causing crazy conflicts in the main scene. After the work in the main scene was done, I would copy what I created in the clone scene and add them to the main scene. This could only be done after whoever else was working on the main scene was done however. If I were to merge before they were done, they would run into the same issue.


Comments
Post a Comment