Troglodyte in Underbelly: Quick Sand
Troglodyte in Underbelly: Quick Sand
Jose Davila
While working on one of the new prefabs I was wondering how to capture that effect of slowly sinking and slowing down on a pit of Quick Sand. The answer was much simpler than I thought, and instead of giving some crazy properties to the sand itself, I just modified the values of the gravity and speed of the player, giving the illusion of sinking and being slowed down.
When playing around with the number to give gravity that sinking feel, I found something interesting. It has to be as close to zero as possible. Right now, when setting the Sink Speed in the project, the number has to be really high, so I'll change it so it's between 1 and 10. The only real issue I'm facing right now is activating the trigger when not exactly on top of the object. The trigger box is slightly up even though I did it intentionally.
I might correct this by using a cube and a perfectly aligned trigger box. This might delay the trigger event while falling, but I'm sure it won't be noticeable. Being a square might address how hard it is going to be to fit the pits for a natural feel in some of the maps.

Comments
Post a Comment